Thursday, June 2, 2011

Running StrategyDesk in the GNU operating system (a.k.a. "Linux" or GNU / Linux)

To run TD Ameritrade's StrategyDesk program on my Fedora 14 system using WINE, I followed the instructions on the Trading With Linux blog. I've reproduced the steps below.

With StrategyDesk version 3.4, the steps were insufficient, so I ran the wine command in a terminal to view the output messages. As it turns out, the new version of StrategyDesk requires msvcp60.dll, so I used the Winetricks program to download and install the file for me. All the steps I took to get StragegyDesk running are detailed below.




  1. Open a Terminal (Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal).


  2. Install wine.
    sudo yum install wine


  3. Download Winetricks script.
    wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks


  4. Make winetricks script executable.
    chmod +x winetricks


  5. Run winetricks.
    ./winetricks


  6. In the Winetricks - choose a wine prefix window, select "Select the default wineprefix" and click OK.


  7. In the Winetricks - current prefix is windows, click on "Install a Windows DLL or component and click OK.


  8. In the next window, select d3dx9, mfc40, mfc42 and vcrun6. Then click OK.


  9. Download SetupStrategyDesk.exe from TD Ameritrade website.
    wget http://www.tdameritrade.com/StrategyDesk/SetupStrategyDesk.exe


  10. Run SetupStrategyDesk.exe using wine.
    wine SetupStrategyDesk.exe


  11. Apply font smoothing by downloading and running the winefontssmoothing_en.sh script. Select option 3, "Subpixel smoothing (ClearType) RGB".


  12. On my old Intel graphics hardware -- 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01), I got a lot of black boxes over parts of the StrategyDesk program. To resolve this issue, I added the following key and string to the WINE registry by using the WINE Registry Editor.


  13. Run StrategyDesk by double-clicking on the new icon on the desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment