Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Upgraded from Fedora 13 to 14 using LiveCD

Because the hard drive on my Fedora 13 system had /home on it's own partition, the upgrade to Fedora 14 was easy. From a LiveCD session, I used the desktop shortcut Install to Hard Drive to start the installer.

After reaching the installation step that asks "What type of installation would you like?", I selected Create Custom Layout. Then I assigned the partitions the same way they were assigned previously, and used the checkboxes to tell the installer to reformat all of the partitions except for the /home partition.

After the installation completed, I rebooted and was prompted to create a new user. I used the same username I had on the Fedora 13 system and then was asked if I wanted to use the existing home directory for that user. I confirmed this choice and, a short moment later, the GDM2 login screen appeared. I logged in and everything looked just like it did in Fedora 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment